Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A trip to the Power House Museum

I went along to the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney the other day, as I was thought I saw that they had a 1920s jacquard head on display. It was on the website as being on display but I couldn't find it - just a remnant - some lonely jacquard cards -

So I wondered around the other exhibitions. There was an exhibition on design which the following images are from.

Textile by Reiko Sudo
Poyester organza, folded, heat set, between dye transfer paper, in a vacuum transfer machine, and heat cut.
made by Nuno Corporation, Japan.


Still Life by Gwyn Hanssen Pigott.
wheel thrown and slip cast in Limoges and Southern Ice Porcelain.


Bracelet by Peter Chang
acrylic, polyester, PVC, and silver


I took this for Belly
Art Deco Wallpaper Sample Book, France 1930-31


Catalogue by Liberty, London 1912


Detail of a Liberty Cloak on display
jacquard fabric, printed.


Unfortunately I forgot to get details of this beautiful ostrich feater hat.


And I had to find some waratahs
Bush Beauties by Bilton Burslem, England, about 1892.
pocelain depicting waratah and the Wonga-Wonga vine.
Sign reads -
'Befoer Bilton began working at Doultan in 1892, he travelled to Sydney to make drawings of the native flora to illustrate The picturesque atlas of Australia of 1886.
'While Bilton drew on his Australian sketches to decorate many Doulton pieces, this design is a copy of the bone china blank Wedgwood plaque he painted and fired in Sydney in 1886.


And to finish with a William Morris. I had only seen this print in books before.
Fabric by William Morris, England, 1917-23.
The 'Wandle' fabric design.
Looks a lot like waratahs to me but i haven't yet researched what it is.

--mel

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails