Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Bug fixes for two shuttles

Part of the intention of this post is to remind me in case I forget this fix for this piece.
Another part is a discovery of my new favorite word 'kludge' - 'any construction or practice, typically inelegant, designed to solve a problem temporarily or expediently.' (courtesy of ninjawords app)
Another is to show myself I should actually get around to doing some ideas I have for making things work better.
Also, stray threads smell bad when sucked into a blow heater. Clean up more.
Ok, problem is to weave this piece in the most efficient manner.

The problem is that it is using two shuttles one after the other but not to get tangled - and at a decent speed.

So first of all I changed the order on the draft a bit - 2 passes with the same shuttle instead one then one. It doesn't affect the overall design and actually the subtle change gives the edge a nicer stripe. So less time fiddling with shuttles.

The next bit is my kludge. In order for one shuttle can stay on the fly ledge, I used double sided tape to stick a 1mm thick PVC strip onto the beater. Works unbelievably well.

Result is I've speeded up about twice as much! I am pleased!


Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Belinda's Lacroix Warp

Ok, apologies for the colours being a little off - I tried to adjust them but they still don't look right.
Inspiration - Lacroix of course -
 The rayon colours ordered today -
They look a bit wrong here but trust me, they sing - they're bright and out there - just like Lacroix!


Saturday, May 4, 2013

Loom set up

Yesterday we finished setting up Mel's loom. The loom had been moved frame intact, so it was a matter of putting all the "bits" back in and on.

I was amazed at how little time it took up to do it. Although Mel has moved the loom a number of times and knows it well.


Related Posts with Thumbnails