Friday, January 20, 2012

Onward to a New Scarf

Remember this sketch from yesterday's post?
 Well I decided that it would be my first to prototype and put into production. So I refined the design a bit.
 Decided upon precise proportions of colour across the warp. All the green areas are super fine monofilament because it's soft enough to wear.
 Next I had to decide on the structure. I'm restricted to 8 shafts at the moment so I had to play with 6 shafts for the pattern - the other 2 are for the monofilament. I also wanted heavy and light weight tiny squares to make some textural difference to the surface, even though it will be felted after weaving.
 Next I was onto dying. It's very tricky to take photos on my phone to show the right colours, but this was the closest with adjustments. Slightly veriagated magenta.
 The next is a kind of dark purple.
 I have also dyed some black wool but am considering also dying some tencel black to add yet more texture and shine.. but maybe I already have enough texture!
Am I insane? These are the two very thin monofilament warps. 20epcm .. hmm.. They will go into a lime dyepot tomorrow. Looking forward to it!
--melly

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails