Saturday, November 27, 2010

What is Vintage ? and where can it lead weaving projects ?

 I collect vintage clothing, well I have a small collection and they are chosen for the garments design, textile or embellishment.  It is an open criteria and is purely an ascetic pleasing  to me and not about the garment's designer or previous owner/s which is why most people collect vintage clothing. As I look at my collection and other garments I want to collect there is a theme or design ascetic running through the collection. Its seems to be the  1950's. So to describe some of my garments:

  • Dress number one ( image 1) is a heavy pink satin which is totally beaded with loops of glass beads.  
  • Dress number two ( Image 2) blue satin with black lace over lay.
  • Dress number three ( image 3) is a green silk satin jacquard woven pattern fitted with draper sections at the neck and hem. This also come with a matching swing coat.
So if we are looking at contemporary weaving, how would these garments influence a body of work. Looking at dress number one pleats come to mind, beaded pleats these are something I have been researching for a number of years and would like to develop this in to lights or window-wall panels that could emit light collected from the sun. So thoughts turn to the other two garments what could they be?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails